Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Lifelong learning habits

Which is the easiest and a hardest of the 7½ lifelong learning habits for me?

The easiest habit is Habit 6 – Using Technology to your advantage. Having grown up with a computer at home and in the classroom, I am accustomed to using technology as a resource to provide assistance when making a decision or completing a project. I don’t know how you people made it through college without the Internet. While the information must be scrutinized to validate its authenticity, this is the largest and most accessible knowledge base in history. Since I used and accepted technology as a powerful tool at an early age, using it seems natural.

The most difficult habit is the teaching and mentoring of others. I don’t consider myself to be a great communicator or motivator to inspire others to learn or explain knowledge that I have acquired. Since my wife is a teacher, I joke about teaching a class at the Community College sometime in the future to gain some insight on her profession and challenge myself. She reminds me that the college level might be acceptable, but teacher like all other professions must be taught to teach effectively. I believe she is correct, but I still wouldn’t mind trying it out to see what its like, but after the kids are older and other goals have been accomplished first.

No comments: